Tuesday, May 30, 2017

From a Margarine Tub to a Sock Aid: Being creative with household items to assist in ADLs

In my Neurological Aspects of Occupation Centered Practice course, we had the opportunity to show our innovative side as future occupational therapy practitioners. The project was completely randomized with us as a class drawing different household items or other materials from a bag and then being assigned to a client with a specific diagnosis and detailed description of the person's interests, roles, barriers, and level of function in various areas of life. While some people may have been assigned the same client no one had the same material to use, so everyone's project will be unique. For me specifically, I drew from the bag a "margarine tub or something similar" and then was assigned to a client named Paula. Paula is a 76 year-old Caucasian female with a primary diagnosis of Parkinson's Disease and then secondary diagnosis of cataracts and hypertension. Paula experienced several challenges and barriers with this diagnosis. Paula had several interests that included communication with colleagues and her husband. She also wanted to be able to use her computer and review manuscripts for a publishing company. However, it was stated that Paula had a couple priorities for OT Intervention which include independence in daily bathing and dressing. Therefore, that is what I focused on when creating my intervention for her. She was completely dependent in putting on her shoes and socks so I thought that it would be nice for her to be able to put on her socks independently with the help of a sock aid created from what was once a margarine tub. Crazy, I know. I wasn't exactly sure how I was going to make this work. I did my research and stood in the grocery store playing around with different butter tubs attempting to see which one would serve the best for putting a sock on a foot. Not typically why one stands in the butter section, but hey I am going to be an OT so I guess I should get used to being creative in some very unusual ways. The day I was constructing the sock aid from a butter tub my family was having a cookout at the house, and I was the overly excited future OT running around with one sock on and asking others to try out my new product. I definitely got some weird looks at first, but it also gave me the chance to explain why, how and show people an example of how occupational therapists can help people in all kinds of ways with just about anything. Once I showed them how my sock aid worked, they were definitely impressed and found it cool that I thought to make it out of a butter tub. I did my little hair flip and proceeded to the next person to show out on. Putting my silliness aside in making this project, I used this item to make a sock aid to help Paula be able to put her socks on her feet, so that she isn't necessarily depending on others for everything in her life. Although putting your socks on is typically viewed as being a small and simple task, it definitely takes a toll on you when you are not even able to do something that was once so simple. I wanted Paula to feel more independent, so I took a margarine tub and gave her a way to put her socks on her feet without asking someone else to do it for her. I also thought that by teaching Paula how to use this sock aid she would be able to strengthen those muscles in her feet and work on her coordination in her lower extremities. Paula will also work on grip strength and fine motor coordination in her hands by gripping the straps and pulling on them in order to move the sock aid across the bottom of her foot. Overall, I had so much fun making this product and I feel like it will be very beneficial in my client's OT intervention process. Below I have included a picture summing up my client and why I chose to make a sock aid for her. I also have provided pictures of the different steps in using the sock aid as well as a before and after of making the sock aid.
Summary of Media Project:


A little Before and After Photos:
                                
Using the Sock Aid:
Step 1: Putting the sock on on the end where straps will still have the freedom to fall in order to grab these straps

Step 2: Pulling the sock over the sock aid to ensure it stays on when the foot is initially placed into the other end

Step 3: Placing your foot into the sock aid and holding on to the straps with your hands so you can pull the sock aid up


Step 4: Pulling up on the straps pulls the sock aid across the foot resulting in the sock going onto the foot
             
Step 5: Mission Success! The sock is now on the foot with the help of the sock aid!

No comments:

Post a Comment