Tuesday, April 18, 2017

The Relevance of Clinical Reasoning

Clinical reasoning as learned today in class is a vital component to the practice of occupational therapy and becoming an effective occupational therapy practitioner. As we discussed clinical reasoning, I realized just how crucial it was when it applies to how I think and treat my future clients. I also realized that clinical reasoning is not something that I simply need to use at the beginning or end, but through the entire OT process for each individual client I may treat. Clinical reasoning is also complex in nature in that it has 3 different elements which are scientific, ethical, and artistic. Of course all three of these elements work together to ensure a meaningful and beneficial experience for the client when it comes to therapy. I believe that clinical reasoning is not something that is simply learned from a book or class, but is effectively developed in an individual through practice and observation in an occupational therapy setting.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that clinical reasoning is best learned through experience. I see it as this sort of craft that is not really clear to outsiders, but becomes stunningly obvious through experience.

    ReplyDelete