Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Learning about Acquired Brain Injuries in OT 537

In today's lecture, we learned much more about the different acquired brain injuries and which fall under traumatic brain injury and which are classified as non traumatic brain injuries. I definitely enjoyed today's class and found every aspect interesting. I enjoyed learning about the different statistics and facts about all the different types of brain injuries. However, the biggest point that stood out to me today was learning about Wernicke's area and Broca's area. We discussed the types of aphasia that occurred with both these areas. I am fascinated by how these affect people and how each individual handles the stress of these different types of aphasia. I am definitely interested in seeing how occupational therapists play a role in treating clients who may suffer from either of these aphasia types. I understand that speech pathologists may hold a major role in therapy, but I also know that occupational therapists are critical in the therapeutic process for these individuals. I'm also curious to know if there are major differences in the therapy process for Wernicke's aphasia versus Broca's aphasia and what these differences may be. Overall, I thoroughly enjoy learning about these brain injuries and learning about what parts of the brain correlate with parts of the body. It is interesting to see how a person's occupations and activities of daily living can be significantly impacted by different brain injuries.

No comments:

Post a Comment