Thursday, February 8, 2018

Self-assessment of co-facilitating a group session

Name: Alicia Rinks                                Date: 2/7/2018                              Time: 11:00 am- 11:40 am

Group Title: "Seven Heads Are Better Than One"

Based on my contribution to the written group plan, I feel like I sufficiently took part in constructing and editing the document for submission. I enjoyed learning my other co-facilitator's ideas throughout the process. As a team, we were able to be creative, and ironically enough, learn to collaborate ourselves in order to create a group protocol centered on collaboration.

My main job as a co-facilitor when leading the group was the introduction and the ice breaker activity for the group. I felt as if I did explain the purpose clearly as well as communicated our expectations for the group in the beginning. I also allowed for introduction of the leaders as well as the members. I did not, however, outline a definite time frame for the group. During the first activity, I explained the instructions and allowed for the members to gather the materials needed for participation. After partnering up, I told the members when to begin and answered questions as needed.

After my role in facilitation, I continued to encourage the members in the following activity as well as throughout the sharing and processing parts of the session. I attempted to stay positive and not create a stressful environment from my own personal attitude. Instead, I chose to take steps back from the activities and allowed for the members to work out and accomplish goals on their own. The idea was collaboration among the members, and I wanted the members to work together and through conflict resolution. The group did get off topic at times and while I could or maybe should have stepped in, I honestly enjoyed watching it play out. I was better to able observe natural personalities come out within the group if I wasn't exerting too much control. I wanted to see how the collaborated more naturalisticaly.

As far as my strengths and weaknesses are concerned, I believe that my personality type can be both a strength and weakness when leading a group. I can be too relaxed and not always take control when others may. Given if the group derailed completely, I would definitely regain control and focus the group's attention back to the task at hand. However, I will tend to let the group deviate slightly just because it builds relationships and trust within the group. The group has a more relaxed feel allowing for better observation. This could also serve as a weakness because the group is more likely to get off task without enough control from my end.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post and reflection. I will say that I believe that in terms of a personality match, the Psychodynamic FOR is your friend, because it really allows you to stay true to your style which, as you so aptly described here, is more on the facilitative or consultative side. Good job. This is well written.

    ReplyDelete